Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Red Earrings


Christmas 2004. I traveled to Florida to be with Mum on what I assumed to be her last Christmas. I was right.

Dad was out running errands a few days before Christmas. At one of his stops, there was a vendor outside of a store selling jewelry. Dad spotted a pair of red, sparkly earrings and told the seller he wanted to buy them for Mum. He explained that she was nearing the end of her life and he wanted to get something to brighten her day. The vendor was so touched by his story that she gave him the earrings with her blessing.

Dad brought the earrings home and told me the story before he gave Mum the little jewels. I saw this as his way of expressing love for his wife of over 60 years. He teared up as he told me the story. Dad gave them to her in the bag; She loved their brilliance and put them on immediately.

On Christmas morning, I awoke, threw on a robe, padded to the kitchen and poured some coffee. I sat at the dining room table with Mum. We called it Command Central because she directed all the activity from her chair. “Sit here.” You had to sit where Mum told you to sit. I drank my coffee and we sat in the silence. I remember thinking about how odd it was for just the two of us to be celebrating Christmas alone. With six kids in the family and Dad, it was never quiet on Christmas. I felt honored to be with Mum on this peaceful morning. Dad was still asleep and I left well enough alone.

We opened a few gifts. That year I gave Mum a powder blue cashmere sweater with a hood. It may have been the only cashmere anything she ever had. She admired the color, the pockets, raglan sleeves and the hood. It all added up to comfort and warmth.

I opened a gift from Patty – a coffee maker that I still use to this day. It is top of the line and I felt so loved in receiving it. I opened another gift from Diana, a beautiful beaded bracelet. Most of my favorite jewelry is a gift from her.

I don’t remember any other gifts from that day. What really stands out is the time I spent with Mum in the quiet of the Christmas morning.

Later in the day, Dad was up and Lauri and Jennie joined in the low key festivities. I think I fixed a turkey dinner for us all, maybe not. That part is unclear. I just held on to the memory of Mum and I together on that Christmas morning.

When Mum made her transition less than four months later, I was executrix of her will. I ensured everyone received what Mum had assigned to each of us. There were hundreds of items still to be divided. I put her possessions on the dining room table by categories and we all selected what we wanted. Her jewelry was some of the most coveted items. We each had a connection to Mum through her jewelry.

I selected the red earrings first. More than any other gemstone, sterling or gold, I wanted those earrings. I loved the sweet gesture my dad made in selecting them for her and the vendor’s gift in recognition of the circumstances.

I have worn the earrings on and around Christmas for years now. I wore them again today. Every time I wear them, someone comments on the beauty of the red rhinestones. I tell the story and cry. Every time.

The red earrings were probably priced around $5.00 or less. When I let go of my possessions, they will be the last items to go because I cherish them more than any jewelry I have, aside from my engagement and wedding rings. The red earrings have immeasurable value - a love story of family and a generous stranger. Such is Christmas of the heart.

1 comment: